Saturday, November 9, 2013

Our Journey to Becoming Parents…(Part 2)

We went back in for one more appointment to talk about what our options were. Barney’s numbers weren’t perfect, but doable. And the doc said I was fine too – cause the hysterosalpingogram showed that I was. I asked the doctor if there were any other problems that I could have that would be causing our fertility issues. Being I’ve had thyroid issues, I was leery that maybe something chemically in me was not correct. The doc assured me that being I was under the age of 30 that there was absolutely nothing else wrong with me. HOWEVER, he still wanted to schedule us for an insemination and said that was our best move at this point. WHAT?! I’m fine, Barney’s ok but yet we have to try insemination?! We left, unsure of our thoughts that day. We weren’t feeling ready to go that route. The doctor had prescribed us clomid for when we do decide to go that route. After some thinking and more research on my own, I thought that maybe we could just try the clomid alone for a few months. Clomid is a medication that helps your body to ovulate. I called back to the doctor’s office and ran my thoughts passed his nurse. She was going to get in touch with the doctor and see what his thoughts were. She got back to me and said that the doctor says that clomid only works if you have “other” problems – of which I don’t have. I was in total disagreement with them and eventually I got the doctor to okay it…even though he didn’t seem to thrilled about it. Over the next 3 months we tried the clomid. Nothing was happening. But the longer I thought about how everything went with the OBGYN here in town, the more I didn’t think that was our only option. We kind of just thought about things at this point. By this time, I had learned to cope when our friends and family had news they were expecting. We tried all different things: different vitamins, different ways of charting and nearly every other way you could do on your own…we tried it. In late July/Early August of 2012, after hearing the news that my sister-in-law was pregnant again, I broke down again. It was news that came RIGHT before Barney left for 6 weeks for his Warrant Officer training. And let me tell you – that was rough. I was super emotional and I was alone – with no one here to hold me and work this through with me. When those 6 weeks were over, we made a date weekend and decided we would do some deeper research on other doctors and facilities we could try. We knew for sure at this point that we didn’t want to do the insemination – I wasn’t a fan of how the process went – embarrassed would be a good way to describe my feelings on that – and it isn’t right in the eyes of our church…and that was something else I was really struggling with. During our date weekend we found yet another “fertility” vitamin to try – one kind for each of us. We ordered those up and we researched different facilities that helped with fertility issues. We had decided that we were going to get in touch with the new Lakewood Health Systems clinics and their OBGYN’s. We read that they had success dealing with infertility. I had an appointment set for deer hunting weekend at the Lakewood Health Systems place – we drive right past it on our way to deer camp so we thought that would be a good idea. Before that appointment came up - our saving grace came out of the blue. In a conversation with Barney’s sister (the pregnant one – actually, by this time, they were both pregnant – and I was distraught) any way – I had a conversation with Tiff, and we never really talked much about our fertility issues, but she asked me in a round about way where we were on our journey and I finally opened up A LOT to her. She had told me about this place in Omaha. When they lived there they heard so many stories about people who had fertility issues and then would go to this Pope Paul IV clinic and practically be cured!! And, AND to top it off – it was ALL practices that were ok in the eyes of the Catholic Church!!!!! Wheels in my head were turning and I was thinking – Omaha’s not really that far…we could check it out!!! I started doing some on-line research about what we had to do to get there – and a miracle happened!!!! Turns out, they had a charting teacher AND a doctor that practiced and taught the Creighton Model Fertility System and used NaPro technology (this are the methods developed at the PPVI Institute) RIGHT IN ALEXANDRIA!!!! Uhh…hello…Alexandria is only and hour away…not 8!!! SCORE!!!!
Part 3 yet to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment